May 26, 2012

Rob's Interview With Rai News


 Interview is dubbed. Rob talks Cosmopolis, Cannes and On the Road via RPLife 

I: Is it weird for you to be here in Cannes with Kristen Stewart, who is in another movie? 
R: Even my friend is here and it's really weird; this is the year when Twilight ends and both me and Kristen and my best friend Tom are here in Cannes.

I: Robert pattinson, in this movie you are a vampire of finance. Can we analyze this role in this key? 
R: I mean, kind of. I actually never considered it to be a movie about banks or Wall street. I don't think Eric sees himself as a person working in the finance world. I think he believes he made money thanks to finance but what he actually likes are numbers; so i don't think the movie is necessarily about the conclusion of capitalism, not at all. I don't even know what it is about.

I: There's a theme in the movie: youth, your youth, which finds itself in front of a world much older than him.

R: What people find interesting about the movie is the financial crisis aspect, new generations are those who will have to fix everything, those who have a certain age now but aren't too young won't have many difficulties. I think it's important to make this a story new generations can identify with, but we didn't think it was so important while we were filming it.

I:Your character lives in his own world, a world he built for himself. This is the most important characteristic of the role, that he's apart from others, isn't it?
R: Yes, as you said my character built his own world, and every time we see external shoots we see them through car windows or his own eyes; he doesn't even speak a normal language- conventional english: he developed his own language. He lives is a very particular world.

I: Why does your character go through New York to get a haircut? 
R: I think he lost his mind, he needs to reconcile with it. And you know when you wake up in the morning and have this idea stuck in your mind- one thing you have to do that day? Maybe that's it.

I: How whas your relationship with David Cronenberg? Were you surprised that he chose you for this kind of movie? 
R: Yes, i was really surprised, it was an unexpected call and i was really excited to know that I would've worked with Cronenberg. This is the type of movie I'm interested in making from now on; it was a really positive experience.

I: Is it weird for you to be here in Cannes with Kristen Stewart, who is in another movie? 
R: Even my friend is here and it's really weird; this is the year when Twilight ends and both me and Kristen and my best friend Tom are here in Cannes.

I: As a young man, are you worried for your future in such a crazy world, that's experiencing one of the word's financial crisis ever? What do you think your future will be like? 
R: Well of course I'm worried, most of all because many guys didn't even realize what's going on, they just kept playing videogames on their couch, so when you see movements to occupy Wall Street it's very encouraging, it gives you hope that in this world there are still people who want to live, who talk to each other, who want to get along, there are communities who care about the world's destiny, which happens less and less because it's a though world to live in, everything's so difficult, so expensive. I think the next 25 years will be very interesting.

I: Most of the scenes of the movie are in a limousine, how was acting in a limousine like? 
R: I quite liked it; you get used to closed environments and start knowing them well, you learn how to move in them; like, i was in the limo everyday, so i could get in and out very fast, while the other actors had some difficulties  At the beginning it was very weird, very claustrophobic, but after a while it was really funny.

I: Was it a real limo or a set where a limo was recreated? 
R: No, it was a real limo even if it was created inside of a studio; you could take off some parts and make it more comfortable but the dimension where those of a real limo, you could even see outside of the windows so it was all very weird.

I: Thank you so much.

Thanks to AnnDeveria via RobStenation for the transcription/translation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment respectfully and don't include any links or phone numbers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...